Vegan Spinach Stuffed Shells
These Vegan spinach stuffed shells with cashews are going to be a staple in your household after you make this recipe. Not only is it easy to make, it only requires a few ingredients.
- 12 pasta shells (approx.100g/3.5 ounces)
- 1 jar of marinara sauce (about 2 1/2 cups total)
- 1 onion
- 1 garlic clove
- 150g (5.5 ounces) of spinach (fresh or frozen)
- 100g (3.5 ounces) cashews (soaked)
- 2 tablespoons of water
- 3 tablespoons of nutritional yeast (divided)
- 1 tablespoon of apple cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons of vegan butter
- 2 tablespoons of flour
- 150ml (0.66 cup) plant based milk
- 150ml (0.66 cup) plant based heavy cream
- 0.5 teaspoon of chili flakes
- Vegetable oil for frying
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Peel and finely chop garlic and onion. Defrost frozen spinach in a sieve or wash and chop fresh spinach.
- Heat vegetable oil in a frying pan and fry onion and garlic until translucent. Add spinach and braise for approx. 10 minutes or until either the fresh spinach wilts or the defrosted spinach is warmed. Season with salt, pepper and nutmeg to taste. In case the spinach is still to watery, transfer to a sieve and drain.
- Add soaked cashews, water, 2 tablespoons of nutritional yeast and the apple cider vinegar to a liquid measuring cup and mix with an immersion blender until combined, but still chunky. Season with salt and pepper to taste or add more nutritional yeast or some lemon juice.
- Add spinach to cashew mixture and stir to combine. For the last time, season with salt, pepper and nutmeg to taste.
- In a separate saucepan, heat the marinara sauce and set aside
- Cook pasta shells according to instructions. Slowly melt the vegan butter in a saucepan and stir in the flour. Then start adding the plant based milk and heavy cream but be sure to keep stirring all the time to prevent any lumps in the sauce. Season with chili flakes, 1 tablespoon nutritional yeast, salt, pepper, and nutmeg to taste. Let the sauce simmer for a few more minutes until thickened.
- Preheat oven to 180 C/350 F. Once the pasta shells are done drain them and prepare to start stuffing the shells. Add approx. 2/3 of the sauce of vegan cashew sauce to the bottom of your baking dish. And then top that with 2/3 of the marinara sauce. Carefully fill each pasta shell with the spinach-cashew mixture and place into the baking dish on top of the sauce. Repeat with the remaining pasta shells and filling, then drizzle with remaining vegan sauce and marinara sauce.
- Bake for approx. 20 minutes or until the a couple of pasta shells turn brown on top.
Calories: 243kcal, Carbs: 25g, Fat:12g, Protein: 7g, Fiber: 2g
***If you liked my “Vegan Spinach Stuffed Shells” recipe don’t forget to share it with a friend.